The Bellari VP549 phono pre has excellent true sound resolution. Its tone centre is right in the middle of the music. It performs very well on the extremes, and never loses its solid performance in the meat of the music. Has a well-rounded sound when needed, but has a very surprising shimmer when called on. The VP549 is bold, yet has a very surprising attack that will take your rig to the next level. Hundreds of hours went in to listening and improving the design.
- Pre-emphasis on recording and de-emphasis on playback
- Made with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted, and on playback the opposite occurs
- Net result is a flat frequency response, but with attenuation of high frequency noise such as hiss and clicks that arise from the recording medium
- Reducing the low frequencies also limits the excursions the cutter needs to make when cutting a groove
- Groove width is thus reduced, allowing more grooves to fit into a given surface area, permitting longer recording times
- Reduces physical stresses on the stylus which might otherwise cause distortion or groove damage during playback